Uncontained Rants...

Sunday, April 18, 2004

Book Review

Excerpt from Aisha Tyler's "Swerve: Reckless Observations of a Post-Modern Girl":

"I think girls should make being sassy, or brazen, or feisty, or loudmouthed, or audacious, or brash, or impudent, or any of the other double entendre tidbits that are used to dismiss girls that are just sticking up for themselves and speaking their minds, the normal state of things. We shouldn't feel empowered to speak out, because it should just be the way we are, how we do...being outspoken doesn't mean being mean. (Julie's note: thank you Aisha) It just means knowing yourself, and what you deserve, and when it's time to ask for it. Finding the strength to express your ideas and desires and opinions forces you to figure out what your ideas and desires and opinions are. And doing that gets you on a path to getting more of what you want out of your life. Because you can't start getting what you want if you haven't figured out what that is, and you might not bother to figure out what that is, if you've never had to tell anyone about it. You might just go bobbing about, never speaking up, knowing you were uncomfortable with the way things are, but not really understanding why, until one day you explode like a big walking blob of C4 at the mailman, or your boyfriend, or your boss...Action is actualization. Doing is making real.. So say what you think. Be outspoken. Be bold. Be articulate. Be sarcastic. Be silly, even. Get your shots in."

I like that. I like that a lot. And if you knew me, you'd know why I like it so much. I assure you, this is NOT a self-help kind of book, cuz apart from the truth I find in the Bible, I avoid those kind of books/people like the plague. (case in point: the new overrated, over hyped guru--Dr. Phil. Just like her Book Club, another one of Oprah's pawns/protege's designed to make a quick buck. see..I could go off on a tangent with this one too, but i digress.) Ok, Aisha's book. It's encouraging and witty, and did I mention funny? And I think guys' might even enjoy it. All in all, it's a book for everyone. And no, she did not pay me to write all this. Alrights, no more words of wisdom (original or borrowed) from me tonight, for I don't have much in the first place. LA is actually cloudy--it's wonderful. Enjoy it while it lasts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home